Best Sewing Machines For Beginners
Best Overall: Singer 2277 Tradition Essential Sewing Machine
- Automatic embroidery needle threader is the biggest timesaver
- Adjustable stitch length and width keeps seams strong and prevents bunching on any fabric type
- Fully automatic 1-step buttonhole provides professional results at the touch of a button
- 97 Stitch Applications
- Heavy-duty metal frame for overall durability and skip-free sewing. 110 volt machine designed for United States and Canadian use only.
- Limited 90-DAY for Adjustments, Belts, Rings, Bulbs, Attachments; Limited 2-Year for Motors, Light assembly, Wiring, Switches, Speed control and Electronic Components; Limited 25-Year for Sewing Machine Head
This Singer sewing machine comes with everything a beginner could need to get started (thus the “essential” in the machine’s name). The machine is equipped with a built-in needle threader and the ability to switch stitches and also adjust their width and size. It also comes with several helpful accessories.
Reviewers appreciate its ease of use—several have gone from having no sewing experience to sewing up masks and on to bigger projects like curtains and outfits. A bonus for beginners: It comes with an instructional DVD that several reviewers note was quite helpful.
Best Splurge: Brother CS6000i Sewing and Quilting Machine
- 60 Unique built-in stitches: The Brother CS6000i includes 60 built-in sewing stitches, including decorative stitches and 7 styles of auto-size buttonholes
- Automatic needle threader and drop-in top bobbin: This sewing and quilting machine includes an automatic needle threader that perfectly pushes thread through the needle and a convenient, jam resistant drop-in top bobbin
- Included accessories: The CS6000i includes a hard protective case, wide table, 10 sewing feet, needle set including twin needle, 3 bobbins and more
- LCD Screen: Easily select your stitches with the touch of a button and view your selections on the LCD display
- 25 Year limited warranty: The CS6000i is backed by a 25 Year limited warranty with free technical support for the life of the product
Brother is one of several trusted brands when it comes to sewing machines (you’ll find machines from other long-term, trusted favorites on this list, such as Janone and Singer).
This particular machine is popular for good reason: It’s reasonably priced but packed with features galore, such as built-in stitches, an automatic needle threader, and an LCD screen. But, the machine is not so complicated that a beginner will feel overwhelmed at needing to read through a thick manual.
Many reviewers note that they’ve used the machine for years with pleasure. (It’s worth noting that it has a 25-year limited warranty.)
Best for Quilting: Brother XR3774 Sewing and Quilting Machine
- 37 UNIQUE BUILT-IN STITCHES: The Brother XR3774 includes 37 built-in stitches including blind hem, decorative and quilting stitches and a one-step buttonhole
- AUTOMATIC NEEDLE THREADER AND DROP-IN TOP BOBBIN: This sewing and quilting machine includes an automatic needle threader that perfectly pushes thread through the needle and a convenient, jam resistant drop-in top bobbin
- INCLUDED ACCESSORIES: The XR3774 quilting and sewing machine comes with a machine cover, wide table, 8 sewing feet, instructional DVD, and more
- VERSATILE FREE ARM: The Brother XR3774 is perfect for a wide range of everyday sewing and quilting projects, and users from beginners to advanced
- AT YOUR SIDE SUPPORT: The XR3774 quilting and sewing machine comes with Brother At Your Side support offering free technical support via online, live chat or phone for the life of your machine
Quilters have specific needs when it comes to sewing, and this machine delivers. It comes with a walking foot (a must for quilters!), along with an extendable table for draping fabric. It has plenty of beautiful decorative stitches and is available at a budget-friendly price.
Plus, while reviewers note that this Brother machine is incredibly beginner-friendly, several are also long-term sewers who have used machines for years.
Best for Young Sewers: Singer Start 1304 Sewing Machine
- BEST SEWING MACHINE: The SINGER Start 1304 sewing machine is basic, simple, and easy-to-use thanks to 57 Stitch Applications, all with pre-set stitch width and stitch length. Just select your stitch and start sewing
- : SINGER Start 1304 Start Free Arm Model Sewing Machine has 25 Year Limited
- LIGHTWEIGHT AND PORTABLE: This lightweight and portable machine weighs only 7 pounds, making it great for sewing in smaller spaces or taking to sewing class
- AUTOMATIC BOBBIN WINDING SEWING MACHINE: To wind a bobbin, simply follow the numbered diagram printed on top of the sewing machine. The bobbin will automatically stop turning when it’s completely filled
- SINGER Start 1304 ACCESSORIES: Includes All-Purpose Foot, Zipper Foot, Buttonhole Foot, Darning Plate, Pack of Needles, Bobbins, Needle Plate Screwdriver, Spool Pin Felts, Seam Ripper / Lint Brush, Power Line Cord, Foot Control, Quick Start Guide, Instruction Manual. Amps: 0. 6
Looking for a gift? Gifting a sewing machine early on can lead to a lifelong habit that’s incredibly useful. Of course, any young sewer will need supervision (needles can be sharp, and a real sewing machine is not a toy).
This Singer is lightweight, which is convenient if you envision your child taking it along to sewing classes (or over to grandma’s house). And it offers just the right amount of basic features to get kids started with sewing: It has a stitch selector, a four-step buttonhole maker, a reverse lever, and more basics. Every dial and button is clearly and simply labeled to avoid making users feel overwhelmed.
Reviewers praise this machine—while it’s suitable for children, it’s also a great option for adults. The lack of bells and whistles is a feature, not a deficit, which many reviewers praise for allowing them to get going on projects right away.
Best Portable: Magicfly Mini Sewing Machine
- 【Electrical Sewing Machine]】Support AC/DC power supply or Batteries power supply which is WIRELESS, easy to turn on with button or Foot Pedal (included). Easy to start the sewing jobs.
- 【High or Low Control】Double Threads design make the stitching stronger and ends sewing without tying the thread. There is a Speed button on the product to turn the speed in “high” or “slow” according to your demand.
- 【Superior Sewing Kit】 We provide 42 pcs sewing accessory which includes 36 pcs bobbin, 5 pcs needles, 1 threader, 1 scissors and 1 tape measure, 1 extension table which makes the sewing machine more stable and works better on large project and 1 portable bag fits most needs in sewing.
- 【Suitable for begginer】 There is a threading direction on the machine which helps you easily threading. And this item was designed with mini size and one stitching type which is not complicated but match the basic home sewing demand.
- 【Great Gift】The mini sewing machine is suitable for both beginners and children. Also a great gift for Christmas, birthdays.
If you want to sew with friends, attend classes, or just generally be able to move your sewing machine from point A to point B, a portable machine is a must. These machines are also ideal if you don’t want to take up too much space, and only really sew occasionally.
This mini machine has two speeds, a small collection of accessories, and an extension table for bigger projects. It’s got beginner-friendly features, like an easy threading option. You can plug it in, or power it with batteries (handy if you’re in a location that doesn’t have outlets available).
Reviewers say it’s a great fit for beginning sewers, describing it as a plug-and-go option that’s ideal for small projects.